Job Type: Full-time, two year term position, with the possibility for extension
Location: Calgary or Edmonton
Closing Date: October 15, 2019
Are you interested in applying your technology skills for the public good? We are looking for a smart, passionate, and purpose-driven individual to join our team. Cybera is a not-for-profit agency whose mission is to improve the lives of Albertans through the use and advancement of technology, digital literacy and digital best practices. We serve the province’s education, enterprise, research and government sectors.
Cybera, Alberta’s not-for-profit technology accelerator, is looking for a Developer to join the team in either Calgary or Edmonton for a full-time, two year term position. As part of an agile devops environment, you will work on various internal and external software development projects to help realize the technical implementation of the project.
This is not an exclusive software development role, nor is it an exclusive operations role, rather it endeavors to combine best practices of both into a true devops methodology. The workload is highly dynamic and consequently, the individual must possess great flexibility and be able to meet tight deadlines under short notice. If you eat and breathe technology and are a team player that thrives in a fast-changing, multi-hat-wearing environment, please introduce yourself!
- Working with stakeholders to gather information and requirements, architect solutions, create plans for success, and communicate through technical documentation, demos, or meetings.
- Writing code using the latest best practices for proof of concepts, demos, libraries or production applications.
- Working with team members to deliver on architected solutions.
Candidates must be comfortable with:
- Developing processes and standards for software projects.
- Adopting new, immature technologies and understanding how they can fit together.
- Learning new technologies, and develop best practices where none exist.
- Providing architectural decisions affecting service delivery, scalability, security, and disaster recovery.
- Seeking opportunities to apply new technologies to provide better solutions to old problems.
- Working to earn the trust of partners and colleagues.
- Mentoring fellow developers on technical and non-technical matters, establishing standards, and encouraging others to do the same.
- Encouraging constant review and improvement of processes.
Must have skills and experience:
- Experience with current development best practices such as version control with Git, coding standards, test automation and continuous deployment.
- Experience with back end web development frameworks and concepts such as Python, Ruby, Golang or other typical backend languages.
- Experience with deploying containerization technologies such as Docker.
- Experience with researching, evaluating, recommending, implementing and documenting new software solutions.
- Experience with maintaining, troubleshooting, upgrading and making modifications in software code as required.
- The ability to work collaboratively to develop functional and user requirements.
- The ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent communication, organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Track record of following through on long-term goals.
Nice to have skills and experience:
- Experience working on an agile team.
- Experience with cloud platforms such as OpenStack, AWS, Azure and Google Cloud Platform.
- Coding skills in R or Julia.
- Knowledge of Big Data and Data Science technologies such as machine learning workflows and toolkits, and graph databases.
- Experience with the application of advanced statistical techniques and concepts.
- Experience with advanced visualization packages, such as ggplot, Plotly, and D3.js is an asset.
- Experience with ExpressJS or other NodeJS web development framework.
- Experience with GraphQL.
Compensation and Location:
This position is based in either our Calgary or Edmonton office. Salary will be commensurate with experience. No relocation costs will be awarded.
This is your opportunity to work for a flexible, forward-thinking company that is working to make Alberta a leader in innovation, disruption, and the ethical use of new technologies. Flexible work times, great benefits and the opportunity to develop and foster your own projects make for a fantastic working environment.
How to Apply:
Apply in confidence by October 15th, to Barton Satchwill at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your application should include a cover letter demonstrating how your skill-set matches the position’s requirements. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered. Please include “Developer” in the email subject line.
While we appreciate all applications, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Your resume may be kept on file if another job meets your qualifications.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religious beliefs, colour, gender, physical disability, mental disability, age, ancestry, place of origin, marital status, source of income or family status of that person or of any other person.