Senior Data Scientist
Job Type: Full-time
Location: Calgary or Edmonton, Alberta
Closing Date: May 31, 2019
Are you interested in problem solving and applying machine learning algorithms to solve challenging data problems? Do you have a strong background in research, analytics and math and statistics? Cybera (www.cybera.ca) is seeking a Senior Data Scientist to work with our Data Science team to help move multiple projects forward.
This role involves handling and overseeing the entire process of creating data products, from theory development to data acquisition, processing, analysis and dissemination. Asking the right questions and determining an effective path to analyze and interpret the data are key components of the position. The data scientist will work with current and evolving data science tools and techniques to develop appropriate descriptive and prescriptive models that extract insight from the data. They will also work with internal and external stakeholders to come up with new project ideas, best practices, and disseminate findings from the analyses.
The candidate will work with organisations ranging from startups to established businesses to determine their needs in machine learning or data science, tease out approaches to tackle their challenges, and work with subject matter experts to build predictive models that serve as proof of concepts or are integrated into a standalone application.
Applicants should highlight any relevant experiences they might have.
Skills and experience:
These requirements represent an ideal candidate. The potential of the individual’s background and experience to meet the responsibilities and expectations of the role is considered in all instances.
- Degree in a quantitative discipline (math, computer science, or life sciences).
- Three or more years experience working in the data science industry using modern tools to operationalize and implement machine learning models in production.
- Strong software development expertise, including coding skills in Python, R, or Julia.
- Experience with cloud computing platforms (e.g. AWS, Azure, Google Cloud Platform).
- Knowledge and demonstrated experience working with modern data science technologies such as Hadoop, machine learning algorithms, and graph databases.
- Knowledge and demonstrated experience working with data science and machine learning packages, such as NLTK, Tidyverse, Ray, TensorFlow, etc.
- Understanding of the mathematical concepts and theory underlying machine learning and neural network methods.
- Experience with the application of advanced statistical techniques and concepts.
- Experience with advanced visualization packages such as ggplot, Plotly, D3.js
- Intellectual curiosity and desire to learn new things, techniques and technologies.
- Comfortable and demonstrated ability to perform data exploration and work with large datasets of varying quality to investigate or analyze its content.
- Strong interpersonal communications skills for effective interactions with internal departments and external stakeholders; strong public speaker
- Experience mentoring others, and developing a data science team
- Willingness and ability to demonstrate and disseminate best practices
Compensation and Location:
Located at the University of Calgary Research Park, Calgary, Alberta
OR in our Jasper Avenue office, Edmonton, Alberta.
Salary will be commensurate with experience. No relocation costs will be awarded.
This is your opportunity to work for a flexible, tech-forward company that is helping Canada become a more equitable place to work, learn, and play! Flexible work times, great benefits, and the opportunity to develop and foster your own projects make for a fantastic working environment.
How to Apply:
Apply in confidence by May 31, to Dr. David Chan at (firstname.lastname@example.org). Your application should include a cover letter demonstrating how your skill-set matches the position’s requirements. Applications without a cover letter may not be considered. Please include “Senior Data Scientist” in the email subject line.
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Interviews and final selection may occur before the actual closing date. No phone calls please.
Your resume may be kept on file if another job meets your qualifications.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religious beliefs, colour, gender, physical disability, mental disability, age, ancestry, place of origin, marital status, source of income or family status of that person or of any other person. Your resume may be kept on file if another job meets your qualifications.