The Board of Directors of Alberta's new research and innovation agencies has been announced. The five Alberta Innovates agencies come into being January 1, 2010, replacing 10 former provincially funded research and innovation organizations. The new system will better align resources, making it more responsive to researchers and entrepreneurs, more accountable to Alberta taxpayers, and more competitive in the global economy. Alberta Innovates will contribute to The Way Forward, the Government of Alberta's plan for a strong economic recovery, which includes ensuring that Alberta's industries are competitive and continue to attract investment to provide jobs and prosperity.
The following leaders will guide the new agencies as chairs of the boards of directors:
- Alberta Innovates – Bio Solutions: Art Froehlich, Partner and Strategic Advisor, AdFarm
- Alberta Innovates – Energy and Environment Solutions: Eric Newell, Chancellor Emeritus, University of Alberta
- Alberta Innovates – Health Solutions: Robert A. Seidel, Q.C., National Managing Partner, Davis LLP
- Alberta Innovates – Technology Futures: Ron Triffo, Chair, Stantec Inc.
- Alberta Research and Innovation Authority: Dr. Marvin Fritzler, Arthritis Society Research Chair, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary