Data Science Industry Fellowship
July 19, 2021 - August 27, 2021
Emerging Data Scientists helping support local businesses
Cybera is providing support for small-to-medium sized businesses and startups who are looking to adopt data science and machine learning practices, by pairing them with emerging data scientists who are looking for in-the-field experience.
How does it work?
Over the coarse of six weeks Cybera will pair a company with a team of 3-4 emerging data scientists (Fellows). The early-career data scientists will work with data science mentors, from Cybera, who will guide them in their development of a data product prototype for the paired company. This will provide the data scientists with an opportunity to tackle a real-world problem, while de-risking the early concept of the industry partner.
The aspiring data scientists will be provided funding (stipend) to participate in the program and access to professional development and networking opportunities.
There is no financial cost for companies to participate, however there is an expectation that an individual from the participating company will be made available to act as a subject matter expert for the paired team of data scientists.
Applications close on June 13, 2021.
Participation & Eligibility
Data Science Fellow Eligibility
- Must be available full-time for the period July 19 - August 27.
- Students (undergraduate or graduate) or post-doctoral fellows looking to enter the data science industry.
- Individuals looking to re-skill or up-skill.
- Individuals with strong foundational skills in data science, math & statistics or computer programming.
- Individuals looking for data science industry experience.
Industry Partner Eligibility
- Organizations must be based in Alberta.
- Entrepreneurs, startups or small to medium-sized companies looking to start their first data science project.
- Organizations must be facing a data science challenge and lack in-house data science capacity.
- Organizations must have or can acquire data to address their data science project or challenge prior to July 19, 2021.
Data Science Fellowships Case Study: PainWorth
PainWorth is a Edmonton-based start-up that helps plaintiffs save money by automating injury settlements and predicting court case outcomes for “pain and suffering” (general damages). Through the fellowship program, Cybera helped PainWorth use machine learning techniques to identify more relevant cases, reduce noise from case searches, and cluster common injuries (e.g. whiplash, back pain, trouble sleeping after a vehicle collision). Following the fellowship Painworth entered into beta testing, was featured in Startup Edmontons 2020 Launch Party and acquired California legal-tech startup ProSe Claims as they look to enter the US market.
Stories about the Data Science for Albertans Fellowship