Cybera promotes an open and transparent approach to communications with a focus on information sharing while respecting the privacy of its lead contractors and their participants. Cybera operates in a transparent manner while respecting the principles of freedom of information and protection of privacy.
In connection with its membership and project management activities, Cybera collects personal information about individuals involved in the projects that it develops and supports. Cybera collects personal information about individuals with whom it communicates in the course of delivering its programs. This policy outlines the access and privacy principles to which Cybera adheres and describes how Cybera uses and discloses personal information.
Cybera’s access and privacy provisions are based on the following principles, which are drawn from the Canadian Standards Association’s Model Code for the Protection of Personal Information, recognized as a national standard in 1996.
- Accountability: Cybera is responsible for personal information under its control and has designated the Chief Financial Officer as its Privacy Officer, accountable for Cybera’s compliance with its principles.
- Identifying Purposes: The purposes for which personal information is collected shall be identified at or before the time the information is collected.
- Consent: The knowledge and consent of the individual are required for collection, use or disclosure of personal information, except when inappropriate.
- Limiting Collection: The collection of personal information by Cybera shall be limited to that which is necessary for the purposes identified. Information shall be collected by fair and lawful means.
- Limiting Use, Disclosure and Retention: Personal information shall not be used or disclosed for purposes other than those for which it was collected, except with the consent of the individual or as required by law. Personal information shall be retained only as long as deemed necessary for fulfillment of those purposes.
- Accuracy: Personal information shall be as accurate, complete, and up-to-date as is necessary for the purposes for which it is to be used.
- Safeguards: Personal information shall be protected by security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information.
- Openness: Cybera shall make readily available to individuals information about its policies and practices relating to the management of personal information.
- Individual Access: Upon request, an individual shall be informed of the existence, use and disclosure of his or her personal information and shall be given access to that information. An individual shall be able to request a correction of factual inaccuracies.
- Challenging Compliance: An individual shall be able to address a challenge concerning compliance with the above principles to the Privacy Officer.
Collection, Use and Disclosure of Personal Information
Cybera requires its staff, board members, and project associates to provide certain personal information on occasion when applying for funding or preparing reports. Such information may include, but is not limited to, curriculum vitae, contact information, academic affiliation, budgetary information and salary information. This information is used to support project funding.
Cybera uses personal information collected in connection with proposals as part of the application process. Reviewers of these applications are informed of Cybera’s obligations to protect such information and agree to comply with such obligations.
Cybera also uses personal information of staff and board members for purposes of its internal management and administration. In this regard, Cybera may use and disclose personal information for governance, planning, auditing, and other personnel functions.
Cybera routinely publishes and disseminates information about projects that it is leading or supporting. Such information may include information about project leaders and researchers including name, institution and department affiliations and field of work or research.
Cybera collects limited personal information through its web site and electronic mail related to persons who express interest in receiving Cybera’s news releases, and other publications. Personal information collected in these activities is used only for the purpose that it is collected and is not used or disclosed for any other purpose.
Consent for Use and Disclosure of Personal Information
Staff and board members are required to sign a consent form for the use and disclosure of their personal information when accepting roles with Cybera. See Schedule A: Confidentiality, Conflict of Interest, and Intellectual Property Assignment Agreement.
Cybera retains information obtained in connection with administration and project management for a period sufficient for completion of its work including program planning, evaluating and reviewing, auditing, and for generating statistics for these activities.
Keeping Personal Information Accurate
Cybera will correct any factual inaccuracies in personal information held by it in response to satisfactory evidence having been provided by the individual to whom it relates.
Cybera will use appropriate security measures to protect against loss, theft, or unauthorized access, disclosure, use or modification of personal information collected by it. Such measures involve physical, organizational and electronic security procedures and systems. Cybera will require that its employees keep all personal information confidential and comply with its personal information security standards as set out in the Conflict of Interest clause of Schedule A: Confidentiality, Conflict of Interest, and Intellectual Property Assignment Agreement. Cybera will take appropriate measures to ensure that upon disposal and destruction of records, confidentiality of personal information is maintained.
Access to Personal Information
Any individual whose information has been collected and held by Cybera may request access to that information. Upon request to the Privacy Officer, Cybera will advise individuals of the existence, use and disclosure of their personal information on file with Cybera. There will be no cost for reasonable requests to access information unless the individual requests copies of records, makes multiple requests, or when the request involves significant retrieval costs. Cybera will not respond to requests for access to personal information that are frivolous, vexatious or repetitious.
In certain circumstances, Cybera may be unable to provide access to some or all of the personal information that it holds about an individual. Such circumstances include, for example, those in which personal information about the individual cannot reasonably be separated from personal information of others, or cannot be disclosed for reasons related to personal security, solicitor-client privilege or commercial confidentiality.
Individuals may request access to their information, address any questions or concerns regarding their personal information or change or withdraw their consent to Cybera’s use of their information, in accordance with this policy by contacting Cybera’s Privacy Officer at:
Suite 200, 3512 – 33 Street NW Calgary, Alberta
Main Office (Calgary): 403-210-5333 E-mail: email@example.com