Peering and Internet Buying Group
Traffic to major sites such as Google, YouTube and Facebook accounts for, on average, 50% of an organization's commercial internet use. Cybera’s Peering service offers a direct link to these and other popular sites, improving efficiencies in internet traffic.
Benefits of Peering
- Lowered internet costs for those connected, particularly when combined with the Internet Buying Group.
- Web content loads faster, even during peak times
- Unmetered access, with no bandwidth limitations.
Content Providers We Peer With
Altopia (Altopia.com and Alt.net)
YYCIX (Connected Members)
Peering Service Administrative Fee
This fee is based on the number of full-time equivalent (FTE) students or employees within the organization:
|SIZE OF ORGANIZATION||COST|
|Less than 1,000 FTE||$50/month|
|1,001 - 10,000 FTE||$100/month|
|More than 10,000 FTE||$500/month|
Internet Buying Group
By pooling members’ internet traffic, Cybera negotiates a bulk bandwidth rate from a commercial Internet Service Provider to provide members with high-speed internet services at a reduced cost.
- Members are only charged a metered ($/Mbps) rate for the Internet Buying Group’s transit internet. Peering service traffic (which is automatically included in the Internet Buying Group) is unmetered and charged separately under one flat administrative fee.
- Free IPv6 internet traffic (network permitting).
- Members have reported dramatic cost savings.
- It is a month-to-month service, with no long-term contract or commitment.
All members of the Internet Buying Group pay the same monthly rate for their share of the bandwidth purchased from the Internet Service Provider: $1.30 per Mbps (as of July 1, 2020).*
*Note: Internet Buying Group members are also subject to the Peering Service administrative fee
Requirements to Join
The Peering Service and Internet Buying Group are only available to educational and not-for-profit organizations in Alberta that are members of Cybera.
CyberaNet Login for Members