Peering and Internet Buying Group
Traffic to major sites such as Google, YouTube and Facebook accounts for, on average, 50% of an organization's commercial internet use. Cybera’s Peering service offers access to these and other popular sites through a connection with the Calgary Internet Exchange and CANARIE’s Content Delivery Service, improving efficiencies in internet traffic.
Benefits of Peering
- Lowered internet costs for those connected.
- Web content loads faster, even during peak times.
- Unmetered access, with no bandwidth limitations.
Content Providers We Peer With
Altopia (Altopia.com and Alt.net)
Peering Service Administrative Fee
This fee is based on the number of full-time equivalent (FTE) students or employees within the organization:
|SIZE OF ORGANIZATION||COST|
|Less than 1,000 FTE||$50/month|
|1,001 - 10,000 FTE||$100/month|
|More than 10,000 FTE||$500/month|
Internet Buying Group
By pooling members’ internet traffic, Cybera negotiates a bulk bandwidth rate from a commercial Internet Service Provider to provide members with high-speed internet services at a reduced cost.
- Members are only charged a metered ($/Mbps) rate for the Internet Buying Group’s transit internet. The Peering service is bundled together with the Internet Buying Group, and includes unmetered traffic for one flat administrative fee.
- Free IPv6 internet traffic (network permitting).
- Members have reported dramatic cost savings.
- It is a month-to-month service, with no long-term contract or commitment.
All members of the Internet Buying Group pay the same monthly rate for their share of the bandwidth purchased from the Internet Service Provider: $1.20 per Mbps (as of January 1, 2021).*
*Note: Internet Buying Group members are also subject to the Peering Service administrative fee
Requirements to Join
The Peering Service and Internet Buying Group are only available to educational and not-for-profit organizations in Alberta that are members of Cybera.
CyberaNet Login for Members